Thursday, February 28, 2013

Best Friend Birthday

And now for something completely different...

Yes, I've been gone for a little while.  No, I didn't drop off the face of the Earth...it's just a dream some days, right?  Maybe it's less crazy on other planets!  I won't bother with many details...busy schedules, little illnesses, other obligations...I'm sure it's the same at your house.

I'm taking a little detour from my Christmas cards to show you this happy card I made for my best girlfriend's birthday last week.


Supplies:

Stamps: Make a Cake (126740 wood, 126742 clear)
Paper: Whisper White (100730), Real Red (102482), So Saffron (105118), Big Top Birthday (retired)
Ink:  Real Red Marker (100052), Tempting Turquoise (126952)
Oomph: Real Red 5/8" grosgrain ribbon (retired), Stampin' Dimensionals (104430)


Okay, a couple of things.  First, I know, I know...retired products?!  But I have to confess, I have quite a bit of retired Designer Series Paper, and I tend to hoard it while it's current.  It's a sickness, I tell ya!  (I'm sure many of you can relate.)  So I saw the Big Top Birthday and loved how bright it was and had to use it for Kari's card.  And of course, the ribbon just went with it!  But you could easily substitute any of our fine current ribbon products and Designer Series Paper.

Second, how did I make the cake multi-colored?  Well, I am lucky enough to have the Tempting Turquoise Stampin' Write Marker.  We don't sell that one individually anymore.  You can still get it in our Many Marvelous Markers pack - all 38 colors (no Whisper White or Very Vanilla) in a sturdy case with extra room to add the In Color Markers (119806).  Or you can get the assortment of Brights Collection markers (119702).  But...

Let's say you only have the Real Red marker.  For this card, you can ink up the bottom stamp of the cake (the cake stand and bottom layer) with the Tempting Turquoise Classic Stampin' Pad, then use a Blender Pen (102845) to "erase" the color from the cake stand.  Then use your Real Red marker to color in the stand.  Breathe a little hot air onto the stamp (like when you're trying to warm your hands in the winter) - this re-moistens the ink, and stamp!  Voila!

Hope you've enjoyed today's post.  I'll be stamping this weekend.  A co-worker asked me to make a selection of cards for her to have on hand, and I need to work on my daughter's wedding invitations!

See you later, 

StamperNan



Make a Cake
Make a Cake Wood-Mount Stamp Set

No comments:

Post a Comment